Wednesday, April 25, 2012

East vs. West

Hello everyone!!

So since I haven't had anything major happening in my life lately, like visitors to Taiwan and/or traveling around Asia, I thought that I would write something simple and jot down all of the many wonderful and interesting things that I have noticed about Taiwan that are different from America. This is somewhat like a comparison blog where West meets East! Over the past couple months, I have been writing down little things that I have noticed in my phone when I am out and walking around! I believe these are things that many people may not notice right at first and some things you will only know after being here for a while. I think that many people who have not been to Asia, will find this blog to be very interesting, because let me just say, you will never fully understand Asia, until you come here personally! So.....let dive in!

The first thing that I think is different about Taiwan, is the fashion. Like the US, many more people are starting to develop their own personal "style" and create an identity for themselves. Taiwan is a rapidly growing and advancing country and many of the young generation wear the wildest things. For example, "short shorts" are DEFINITELY a trend here with many younger girls. I mean, lets be honest, if you can pull it off why not wear them. These girls have no body fat and are stick thin, so they can wear it! ha. Also, like I said in a previous blog, accessories are worn/put on EVERYTHING. Not kidding. Girls wear accessories not only in their hair, but on the glasses, colored contacts, fake eyelashes, Hello Kitty emblems, chains and diamonds dangling from everything possible....purses, phone, nails, shoes, etc. They really love to be "flashy" here.  In addition to the things that they wear, men also carry purses. These are not just leather "over the shoulder/cross body bags" they are legitimate purses with designs and embellishments on them and they not only carry one for themselves, but their girlfriends ALWAYS make them carry theirs as well. It is very interesting to see, because first of all a guy in the US would NEVER carry and purse and secondly, their girlfriend would never want them to carry their purse. Its definitely something to get used to, because it is very unusual. But, aside from that sort of fashion, many other people here in Taiwan dress differently, like the US and it nice to see that you don't have to wear one certain thing in order to fit in.

Moving on from fashion, I think another very interesting thing about Taiwan is that there is a HUGE divide between the people who "go out" on the weekends. I say this, because most Taiwanese people (majority are girls) don't go out on the weekends. They will maybe stay out or are "allowed" to be out until 11:00pm or 12:00am but they don't go out any later than that.  But then on the other hand, there are those other Taiwanese people who are wild partiers and stay out until the early morning hours. But, when these Taiwanese people do go out, since they never really have had the opportunity before, they go "too hard" and many times can't handle themselves while drinking. Additionally, since most Taiwanese people don't ever really go out much and don't have a lot of opportunities to dress up, when there is an organized event for them to go to or somewhere special to go, they GO ALL OUT! The dress up from head to toe and wear their nicest clothing, because they don't get to do this all that often. The girls where the most outrageous dresses, even if the event isn't that fancy, ha. It is very funny to see all of them come dressed up like Cinderella. This is one thing that I still don't understand, because I think that many of the girls are still allowed, even at an older age of like 26-27, to go out past a certain time, because their family doesn't permit it. I think that will change soon enough though, with this newer generation getting older.

Another note that is jotted down in my phone, was about "meal time" or eating. I wanted to write about this, because the way that Taiwanese people eat is completely different to the way Americans eat. This also may explain why Asians are thinner than most Americans. So, every time I have been out to dinner, I have observed and noticed how friends, family and couples eat together. First, at most traditional Taiwanese restaurants, they don't serve any beverages. So, ultimately they don't drink while eating. Secondly, nobody orders their "own meal." Someone orders a bunch of different dishes for the while table and then after that everyone shares and picks at what food they want. Therefore, there are a lot of small dishes in comparison to one person each having their own large dish. Furthermore, they don't have any "eating order" like we do. There is no order of having, soup or salad first and then an appetizer, main dish and dessert. They definitely don't do that and typically they don't have dessert. Its definitely a new experience to eat this way, but it also helps with portion control. hah. Maybe the US should try this!

The last thing that I thought I should compare and mention, was about the schooling system here and the extra-curricular activities children participate in. First off, I want to talk to you about the schooling system here. So, most children start school at age 2 or 3.....WAIT, WHAT? Did you say 2 or 3? Yes, I said that. They start school so young here in Taiwan that Taiwan had to make it "illegal" for children to attend actual school, where they learn and have homework (its not like preschool) for kids this age. Although, every school still admits children to come and go to school, they just keep it well hidden. Also, these children can be at school (not learning the whole time, maybe just playing) for up to 9-10 hours a day. Some of these young children have to be at school at 9:00 am and don't leave until I do which is around 7 pm. I can't believe it honestly. If they aren't learning/playing/singing/dancing or doing some sort of activity, they are attending their extra curricular activity. This brings me to another comparison that I have been between the US and Taiwan. Taiwanese children DO NOT often take up "sports" as an extra curricular activity, like the US. They either go to Violin practice, piano lessons, writing/speech class and or something else educational. Until they are in high school, these children do something that is very educational/stimulating for the mind for an extra curricular activity. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but I feel as though they never get a break to just "have fun."

So I hope that you all find this blog interesting and that is has broadened your horizon and outlook and understanding about Asia. I know that there aren't any AMAZING pictures with this blog, like the last, but I promise you I will have another good blog coming soon.....as I believe my dad will be making his way over to Asia!!! yay!!!!

Keep reading and sharing your thoughts with me!!

Olivia


2 comments:

  1. Terrific observations, Olivia. This is a great article. I had to giggle a bit at your observations about eating patterns here, especially given what happened at our last event at a Western establishment. Honestly, I was so flipping mad about that, I left On Tap FUMING.

    Anyways, just wanted you to know that I'm still reading. Have you figured out your next plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah Hey!! I know I was thinking about that myself when I wrote this. Thanks for the comment!! I think my next plan is to go home and get a job and save up some money for graduate school!!

      Nothing has been confirmed though, hah!! Glad you're still reading!

      Delete