Monday, March 19, 2012

East meets west when family visits Asia (Part 2 of2)

I'm back with the second part of this Thailand adventure!!! Now lets complete this second portion of this blog with the adventures of the Berger family in Thailand!!

So, like I said before, Maria, Natalie and myself were all on a quick, jump hop and a skip 1 hour plane ride to the island of Phuket.
Our beautiful room
As we arrived in Phuket we immediately hopped in a cab and took a "quick" hour cab ride to our resort. As we finally arrived at the Avista Resort & Spa in Kata Beach, we were all greeted with not only a flower necklace, but a cool glass of fruit punch and a cold tower to wash our faces and hands with. WOW! What a greeting, I wish I could get that at my own apartment. Maybe I can conn my roommates into it!? Thank you Natalie for booking this!!! :) So we were then showed to our room by one of the sweetest Philipino men I have ever met and he gave us a guided tour of our room and the hotel. We all stepped into our room and I couldn't believe my eyes. The room was gorgeous, it was decorated incredibly and we had a fabulous view of the pool down below. As you walked further in there was a glass wall that connected the beautiful bedroom area with the bathroom, just in case you wanted to take a shower and have others be able to see you!! hah!! Don't worry we all thought that was only for couples/a little strange, so we put down the shade!! hah.

After getting settled in, we headed down to the hotel restaurant to eat some, once again, great food. Thai food never gets old! At dinner, we enjoyed the wonderful weather, sounds of the waterfalls in our resort and decompressed from all that traveling by shoving our faces with food!!! YUM!
At "The Beach" Island

The next day, we had to get up bright and early as we were going on a boat cruise around all of the Thai Islands. Thanks again to Natalie, she had not only booked a Thai boat cruise, but the #1 rated boat cruise on Travel Advisor!! Only high class for us! :) The next morning we arrived at the marina and boarded the beautiful speed boat we would be spending the day on. Our tour guides were a wonderful Aussie woman and English couple who have been doing these tours for the past 7 years! We were on our way to one of the most famous & beaches in the world, while the sun was rising and the wind was blowing through our hair and the smell of salt was in the area all around us. Pretty magical. The first island we stopped at was the island in which the movie "The Beach" was filmed with Leonardo Dicaprio. It was pretty spectacular. Since these islands near Thailand are a little different from other normal sandy islands, because they are large jutting rock islands that stick out from the ocean, the minerals in the rock, erode and drip into the ocean, which in turn, turns the color of the water a greenish-blue, instead a turquoise blue. It is pretty cool to say that I have now been to two islands in which 2 famous movies have been filmed. "Cast Away Island" in Fiji and now "The Beach Island" in Thailand. We finally pulled into the bay and walked around the beach squishing the sand in between our toes and taking more pictures that you could believe! It was then time to leave and head to another island. This area was somewhat like a "swimming-hole" like area that was surround by mountain-like rocks hundreds of meters high. This is where we were told we would get out and be able to jump off the boat and swim....so OF COURSE, I am going to get out and swim. Once we all dove off the boat, it was like we were barely swimming. The water was so salty, we barely even needed to kick our legs to stay afloat! It really was an incredible experience, swimming in the greenish-blue water with the tree covered mountains surrounding us.
Diving into the salty water











Maria,  myself & Nat taking a swim






Finally, we headed to another area/island, where we would have yet another chance to swim and this time also snorkel. We arrived at the area and all jumped in the water to check out all cool underwater life that was beneath us! But, before we could do that, we were told by Jenny, our Aussie guide, that we MUST bring in a piece of banana with us, because the fish would eat it. WELL.....little did I know, that once you brought the piece of banana in with you, hundreds of fish would swarm you and eat off the banana. While the banana was in my hand, I could feel the little nibbles of them bitting off of it (just like when Maria and Natalie got a fish pedicure.....YES, they got a fish pedicure.....YIKES!) AHH it was so crazy and creepy at the same time!!
Finally we arrived at our last island and it was time to eat lunch and relax on the beach. The tour served us wonderful food and all of us on the boat chilled either in the or the shade eating our food. Everyone also split up and walked around the island. The day was finally over, but I never wanted to leave these islands, they were too beautiful to leave. BUT, my skin was screaming "get me out of this sun." Yes, I got extremely burnt and for the next couple days were were in Phuket, I couldn't even tan my upper half of my body!! Ugh, and I used sunscreen. I guess the sun is just so intense! The day was finally over and we all headed back to the hotel and that evening we headed into town and ate dinner.
Bamboo Island-Where we ate lunch & relaxed



Our Boat!













The next day rolled around and it was a day to be lazy and lay by the beach. As we arrived on the beach we rented out 3 chairs to relax in the shade and drink tropical drinks. But it was very strange, when we arrived, there were all of the men and women in the skimpiest bathing suits that were so tan some of them literally looked African-American. I was wondering why there were so many foreigners especially those who don't care to be naked on the beach as well as wearing too tight of speedos, haha. Well, I was then told later that day that as of lately Russians have completely dominated and "taken over" the island of Phuket and now come down here for their vacations all of the time!!! I guess Phuket/Thailand is like America's Mexico for Russians. It was really hilarious though, because literally every single person we saw was Russian, no joke. After spending the day on the beach, we needed to head up to the hotel to get prepared for the Thai Cooking Class we had all signed up for!!


Getting ready to "cook" 
We were so excited to see how to actually make and prepare Thai food, so we could then try to do it at home! As we arrived, we realized this wasn't actually a "cooking" class, it was a "everything is already in a bowl for you and all you need to do is put it in the pan class." So we really didn't know what was actually in any of the sauces or soup dishes, we just pretty much were told to dump things in and that is what we did!! haha! Oh well at least we got some funny pictures and made & ate our own Thai food. It was a cool experience and the chef was really great.



So the day finally ended and of course, we had to go out and eat some more great Thai food and walk around the Phuket area and buy "real" purses that were being sold on the street, haha. But I was very excited for the next day, because I was going to meet up with one of my friends, Brock, who I went to high school with at Mahtomedi, who is now currently teaching in Phuket. WHAT ARE THE ODDS? The two of us grow up together on one side of the world and meet up again on the other....in Asia of all places. The day before my big adventure with Brock, I had to get a traditional Thai massage. This was one of the best massages I have ever got in my entire life and it was not only amazing, but it was 2 HOURS....it was soo long that I almost got bored, haha. I definitely am going to get another when I return to Thailand. Then I got ready and met Brock at my hotel and hopped on his scooter and he showed me around the other parts of Phuket Island. We first headed to the "Big Buddha" which resides at the top of this large mountain. As we were scootering up, we saw a bunch of elephants on the side of the road and HAD to stop to feed them bananas and take pictures with them!! (Man, I fed a bunch of different animals bananas on this trip)! I felt bad though, because some of these elephants were chained up and of course you know they are just being help captive, because all of the tourists (like me, unfortunately) want to see them, pet them and feed them! Hopefully they aren't beaten. But as we left there, we soon arrived at the Big Buddha. This Buddha is the largest in Phuket and is totally made out of what looks like granite or some sort stone. It was very beautiful and you could see all of Phuket while standing at the top. The view was breathtaking and you could see all the way to some of the islands. Brock and I then spent the rest of the afternoon into the evening with each other, catching up and getting dinner. I still could not believe how cool it was to meet up with someone all the way over in Asia who I had grown up with all my life!!!

Me & an elephant!! 




















Well the day and our time in Phuket had come to a close that next day and it was our time to say goodbye to Thailand. It really was an incredible trip and all 3 of us really enjoyed ourselves. I highly recommend that if anyone is going to travel to Asia, they should go to Thailand. What a beautiful place with so much color and culture. I can't wait to go back when I am done here in Taiwan and explore more of what that country has to offer.

In the mean time, please look out for more blog posts....although I don't have any trips planned anytime soon or any visitors coming, there is always something to write about....maybe about my birthday that is happening in 3 days!!!

Keep reading and thank you for doing so. I really appreciate the support!!!

Olivia


Brock and I



No comments:

Post a Comment