Monday, October 31, 2011

Through a green colored perspective...

萬聖節 (Happy Halloween)

Hello again, 

So I hope you all had a good Halloween and enjoyed seeing all the costumes, decorations, going to costume parties and just plain old getting into the Halloween spirit, because you know for sure I enjoyed it!! 

Paul & I
This past weekend was jammed packed with things to do. First, on Saturday during the day, my roommates and I along with some other friends went to Taiwan's gay pride parade. First, I just wanted to go to see what it would be like and second, I found out that Taiwan has the largest gay population in all of Asia, so that was another great incentive for me to check it out. So before we headed out, my friend Paul, roommate Brittany and myself thought that we should get in the spirit and dress up for the parade ( no, not get all fancy dressed up, costume dressed up). 
So myself, the green man, Paul the rabbit and Brittany the zombie and Tasha all headed out to the parade. I honestly can't believe that I had the guts to wear that green man suit. I only did it, because the other two were dressed up as well. Although I get starred at every day, just walking around in my normal clothing with my blonde hair, I have never been starred at like this. People, snapping pictures and laughing on the train, it was so funny! So we finally arrived at our destination and were standing around waiting for some other friends to arrive, people started coming up to Paul and I and asking if they could take a picture with us....AND, that was the beginning of what was going to come ALL DAY LONG. (I guess I should have known). 
Brittany, Myself and Tasha = roomies
As we stood in the train station for 20 minutes, I have to estimate that about 100 people asked to take either a picture of us or with us. People were starring, giving us the piece sign, wanting their children to have pictures with us...it was crazy. We had to get out of there.....not like it was going to get any better outside though. 
So, as we walked outside, into a massive crowd of gay activists and supporters who were dressed up ridiculously themselves, we were then again asked to have our pictures taken. We were standing next to the parade that was passing by and even the people marching in the parade were stopping to take pictures with us. I am not kidding, I swear I was taking pictures with different people for one period of time for at least 10 minutes straight.....ugh, my face hurt from smiling and saying "xie xie"/ "thank you." But, all in all it was hilarious and so much fun. I definitely was proud of myself for wearing that suit. After we spent a couple hours watching the parade/being watched, we left and went home to get ready for that evenings festivities. 

After a few hours of recovering, I put on some green......face paint, black and green stockings and a witch hat and cape and was reading to play the part of the wiked witch from the Wizard of Oz. I then left with my friend Euan and we headed to meet everyone at the Halloween event/party that was being held that night. Once again, although my costume this time wasn't nearly as crazy as "green man," Euan and I were still being starred at as if we were idiot Americans. It was ok though, if I could go out in a skin tight spandex green suit that day, I think I can do just about anything now, haa. Well the night went on and the event was pretty good. Some dancing, some drinking and all in all a good time with friends. Its weird to think that this was my third Halloween outside of the states. First London, then Australia and now Taiwan and each one was so different. 

Well  know this was a short post today, but I thought I would start and try to keep you updated with smaller blogs with less information, but more frequently! Keep following and hope you're all enjoying the fall weather back in the states and the coming of winter. Oh, its still almost 80 here...but humid! Yikes. 

My little kids all dressed up
Keep and eye out for another post soon.                       

Olivia 

2 comments:

  1. This confirms it. I totally saw you at Pride. I was marching in the parade and trying to get your attention and your bunny friend kept waving madly at me when I was pointing at you and screaming "OLIVIA!" We wanted you to join us in the march.

    Sigh. Oh well. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh darn. Too bad I missed it! sorry!

    ReplyDelete