Saturday, October 22, 2011

Its a small world

Last week on Tuesday, my roommate, Brittany and I, decided to get some exercise and go hiking, because it was one of the most beautiful days I have had here in Taiwan so far. No humidity, it wasn't scorching hot , therefore I wasn't sweating profusely!! I knew of this hiking trail that is about a 5 minute walk away from our house, so we thought to go there. I feel so lucky, because the locals here in Taiwan consider the area in which I live to be the place with the best "feng shui." To one side of us, we have the Danshui River, then to the other side of us are the mountains which is where the Jiantan hiking trail is. Also, there is the largest night market in Taipei located about a 5 minute walk away as well. 
Jiantan Hiking Trail Entrance
So after reaching the entrance to the Jiantan Hiking trail, we headed upwards. I thought this trail was just going to be a short little hike with some stairs and then you head back down. OH NO, I was completely wrong. I couldn't believe how many amazing things that were buried inside of all the shrubbery and trees that appear on the outside. At the first stopping point, we reach a wonderful temple that has large Buddhas to pray to and amazing painted details all over the temple. We then kept moving onward and upward. We then arrived at another, larger temple. This temple was incredible. It not only had the amazing accessories that a temple has, but it also had a flourishing flower garden and a look out over a part of the city. I had to stop and stay there for a while just look at and take in all the amazing sites there was to offer. 
As we headed upward, I randomly looked to my left and told Brittany "look there's the Taipei 101." When you looked to your left you could see another part of the city which included spectacular views of the Taipei 101. After getting more good exercise for our butts with all of those stairs, we came across some very interesting and funny daily activities in the lives of Taiwanese people. We not only came across very old Taiwanese men working out in the dilapidated gym area, randomly placed within this mountain, but as we walked higher, we came across a large group of people doing KTV (or Karaoke singing)!!! It was fantastic, I wanted to sit there and watch them sing to their Chinese songs all day. Then lastly, we came across this lone woman who was talking (or more like having a conversation) with her cats and trying to feed them. It was so funny! So after all of this, we finally hit the top of the mountain, where you had to walk past the people singing KTV and there was the most.......wait for it.......wonderful views of the area in which I live and beyond. Rivers, mountains, people below, cars below, the hustle and bustle of everything happening below us seemed so non-existent as we were so focused on looking at everything that was so beautiful. It made me realize how I should appreciate the wonderful things Taiwan has to offer instead of getting so caught up and frustrated with how many people there are around all the time and all of the cultural differences I haven't gotten used to yet. 
Random gym in the middle of the mountain
But after we had hiked up for a good hour and a half, we headed back down. It was one of the best, most calming days I had in a long time. 



KTV Singing 
As the week went on I went to school, worked out, taught class and private tutored. Did the usual routine. But, this past Thursday, I was out and about and decided that I would kill some time before I had to go teach and get my nails and toenails done as I haven't gotten them done since I left the US. So you can probably imagine how gross they might be...hah!! So as I entered the nail salon, none of the girls spoke English so I knew I was in for trouble. But, there just so happen to be one other Taiwanese lady getting her nails done as well and she offered to help me since she spoke wonderful English. We started to talk and I asked her how her English was so good and she told me that she did a language exchange in the states when she was in college. She told me she did her exchange in .........WINONA, MN!!! Wait....what? First of all, I am FROM Minnesota and second, why Winona? hah. We both couldn't believe that we were the ONLY people in the salon and that she had lived in MN for a year of her life and absolutely loved it. But, wait. It only gets weirder from here. After getting to know each other I found out that she used to be a host/have her own Travel Asia TV show here in Taiwan (Ok pretty much my dream job). Now that it is done and off the air, she works for a  PR/Marketing firm and hosts events for foreign banks and their staff who come to taiwan. Banks like AIG, HSBC and more. OK WHAT? I got my degree in Marketing and I also held an event/marketing internship two summers ago...I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. So we exchanged numbers and she said that I may be able to help her and her company out later in the year, because they are going to be really busy. I am so stoked!! 
I just couldn't believe this kind of thing happened, especially to me. These things only happen in movies. I just feel very fortunate and I feel like it was kind of meant to me. Hopefully something comes out of this meeting and when it does I will let you all know for sure! 

Well thats all I can tell you for right now. This weekend I didn't do anything, because I didn't to catch up on some sleep and get prepared for next weekend.....HALLOWEEN!!! Look forward to another post soon. 

Look out over the city


Zaijain (goodbye)

Olivia 

No comments:

Post a Comment