Saturday, December 17, 2011

Time to celebrate....not just Christmas!

聖誕快樂 (Merry Christmas)!

Hi Everyone, so I thought that I would just write a short and brief new blog post before the holidays. I know that this is a little "corny/typical" to say, but this is a time for giving and being thankful and I just wanted to share with everyone who reads my blog how thankful I am for a) them reading my blog and supporting me and b) how thankful and blessed I feel for all of the things that have happened to me over these past couple of months being in Taiwan. 

1. I truly feel lucky and blessed that before I even came to Taiwan I had a Taiwanese friend living here who spoke English and helped my adjusting to Taiwan that much easier. 

2. I truly feel blessed that within the first week that I was living in my hostel in Taiwan I met 3 great friends, whom I am all still friends with and one of which who is from Minnesota, went to SPA high school and his mom lives about a 10 minute drive away from my parent's house. How ironic. Also and thankful for all of the other wonderful friends I have made here as well! 

3. I truly am grateful that I was placed in a wonderful school to teach here in Taiwan, where the students love me and respect me, therefore making my teaching days that much easier and more fun. (I have heard horror stories from other teachers). They all think that I am "the best teacher ever," love to play with my hair during break time, ask me if I am on Facebook and tell me "teacher you so beautiful." These things really make me feel lucky. Also it is nice that the school is in one of the most beautiful well-off neighborhoods in Taiwan. 

4. I truly feel blessed and am so grateful for almost immediately finding a family to private tutor for and that their house is located about only 2 blocks away from my school, which makes it much more convenient and very coincidental. 

5. I truly feel grateful for being able to sign up for Chinese  classes (and already complete one semester) and just so happen to have one of the world's most wonderful people teaching me, who has now become one of my good friends here in Taiwan and takes me to places like Costco and organizes birthday lunches for her students. 

6. I truly feel lucky, that I found an amazing place to live, that is located between the mountains and a walk away from the river, and I can also get into downtown Taipei within a 40 minute train ride. 

7. Lastly, I am truly truly blessed to have the most amazing family in the whole entire world. I honestly could not have asked for anything more or better. I am so thankful for all of their support and encouraging words that have really truly helped me get through some very difficult times here. I really don't know what I would do without them and this is the real reason in which I am writing this blog, because I will be missing them greatly over this holiday season. I love them so much it hurts. 

All of these experiences have really helped me adjust to Taiwan a little bit faster than I thought. (Although it wasn't that fast!) Every day is an exciting new experience (sometimes good, sometimes bad), but I am still staying positive and working hard to accomplish many things while I am here! 

So, I was just in the mood to share some of the things that I am grateful for this holiday season and I know that I am definitely being watched over. God is good. 

Look for another blog coming soon. I should have many fun things to talk about and pictures to show you, since a couple of my friends will be arriving here in Taiwan this Monday!!! I can't wait. 

Olivia!!! 白可麗 (My Chinese name - Bai, Keli) 

PS. Sorry for NO pictures! Just a quick blog! 

1 comment:

  1. Olivia,

    I can't tell you how nice it was to read this. I am so glad that everything is working out for you and that you're enjoying Taiwan. Happy teachers create happy students. Your students must be thrilled to have you as their teacher. Thank you so much for coming out last night. It was great to see you!

    ReplyDelete