Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mountains, Waterfalls, Hiking & More

Hey again! I am finally back with more stories from these past couple days...well week. 

Can you believe that I have already been in Taiwan for almost 40 days? (yes I have been keeping track). It has been a crazy ride so far and I can't believe everything that I have done since I got here. 
Recap:
-Found an apartment
-Moved out of hostel -> into apartment
-Started working 
-Started taking Chinese class
-Will start private tutoring
-Figured out how to use the buses and MRT 
-Go site seeing

I am very happy that I finally feel like I am getting somewhat settled in to my new life in Taiwan. It has still been very difficult to get used to the cultural differences and sometimes I just want to have my car here with me so it isn't such a hassle to get from one place to another....but I am considering getting a scooter. Don't worry!! (Side note: Taiwan has the most scooters per capital anywhere is the world). 

But other than doing all of this I am really enjoying my Chinese classes. Although they are very early at 8:00 am, I think that they are going to be very helpful and I love my teacher. I also am enjoying teaching and like my co-workers, but it gets very tiring. Some of the students are so wild and they definitely aren't afraid of misbehaving!! Wednesdays and Fridays are my longest days and on Wed. I have to work from 2-7 and on Fridays I have to work from 2-9.  

Now for the fun stuff: 
At the Pool Party!
This past weekend was nice and on Friday night and bunch of friends and myself all went out to this ex-pat bar called Revolver and sat outside and drank for a while. We ended up going home a little bit "early" around 2:00, because we were tired. But the next day, Mary, Colleen and myself all headed to this pool party that was happening. The party was held at the Taipei Country Club and the whole place was pretty much all foreigners. It was really fun and super wild. Then in the evening all of us headed to another ex-pat bar, that is called On Tap. It is a really cute British-type pub and it is very fun. 

In Wuli
On Sunday, there was a Reach to Teach event that was being held in Wuli. Wuli is about an hour or more outside of Taipei City and it is a beautiful town. Wuli is very mountainous, with trees stretching as far as the eye can see and fresh air...(which is nice to have). We had the most beautiful weather and the sun was shining for most of the day and the R2T group and myself hiked for about 3 hours. After hiking, and walking past water streams running down the mountain-side and rivers, we reached this triple waterfall that all of us had been wanting to see. It was so beautiful and it felt so great to just be outside of the city. I realized how peaceful and tropical Taiwan can truly be outside of the hustle of the city.  We then headed back to the little town of Wuli and tried some amazing food, which was native to the mountains...like "Mountain Pig" (which was AMAZING) and Bao zi, which are these dough balls with pork and scallions on the inside. It was such a great day spent with great people and I think it was one of the best days I have had here yet. 

Waterfall in Wuli Mountains
Finally I had to come back to reality and go back to work and school. This week has been very busy and on Wednesday I met with a family from South Korea, because the father wants me to private tutor his girls. The girls are 12 & 14 and they seem very sweet. The family is here in Taiwan, because the dad is the Head of Marketing and Sales for Samsung (heck ya...maybe I can get a job!) and he was transfered here for 5 years. I will start tutoring them next week..so wish me luck!! ahh
Also, after work on Wednesday, Pei Wen and I went out for my first nice dinner here in Taiwan at this place called Tasty! We sat there for a good 2 hours just talking and having fun eating this great meal. Then....we decided it would be really great if we told them it was my birthday!!!! hah. ( well I mean you could "technically" say it was my birthday, because yesterday was my half-birthday!) But it was sooo great, because the servers came over to me and sang me Happy Birthday in Chinese and English and then made me wear a birthday hat and were taking pictures of Pei Wen and me, hah. I think we are going to start saying its my birthday everywhere to see how many present we can get!! ha. 

So I have had a pretty busy, but uneventful week so far and I am already definitely ready for the weekend to come. I am so tired and I plan to relax and do some more touristy things this weekend. I think I may head to Maokong Gondola (which I am pretty sure is where the "Bachelorette" went with JP on her date in Taiwan to look over all of Taipei City! I am very excited. SOOO Stay tuned and I will try and post blog updates more frequently, so you do not loose interest....You better not loose interest!! ha. 
Asian Style photo!

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and am missing back home!!! 

Look for another blog post soon. 

Olivia. xx



2 comments:

  1. Hey Livia,

    I'm enjoying your blog -- it sounds like you're having an amazing time. I'm so happy that you get this time to travel and explore. Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete